Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thing 7 WEB COMMUNICATION

EMAIL: This one is not a problem for me. I am a heavy user of email at home and work. I have a Yahoo! account, Outlook at work, and gmail. I have had hotmail, I am not a real big fan of the hotmail format. I stopped using it, I thought the spam filters were inadequate and you got hit with too much extra junk.

IM: We are already utilizing AIM at work. I am ok with it. I feel a little tied to my computer sometimes. The tough thing about IM is there are so many different ones. I hate having so many subscriptions/accounts/passwords/etc...

TEXT MESSAGING: This is just not applicable at work. Right now use of cell phones is not allowed during school hours. With teenagers nothing else would get done! It would be useful at the college level where the student/patron is more responsible for the work getting done on their own.

WEB CONFERENCES: I have participated in some web conferences before for training on our new Destiny Card Catalog. They work out very nicely. It is still a bit of a hassle, scheduling it into the day and making sure all the technological aspects are in place and working and getting everyone in the conference. One new thing Kevin found is "Campfire". It is like IM, only more people can get in on the chat. I think it will work great for ongoing projects.

No comments: